top of page

Business Partner and Shareholder Disputes

Business partnerships can sometimes go sideways, unfortunately. When they do you need to have a legal advisor that understands business structures, and has experience dealing with these disputes.


If you have a corporation, you may need to bring an application for shareholder oppression under the Alberta Business Corporations Act. There may be a shareholder agreement that needs to be looked at that may suggest a path forward.


If your business relationship is a true partnership, other remedies can be obtained under the Partnership Act. The best thing that you can do is get timely advice and protect your rights.

You may need to sue your former partner and/or others. You may need court orders and other steps to be taken to protect your interests. These situations can be highly emotional, but above all you need to protect your own interests. 

There are a number of other considerations that need to be explored in a business dispute. You may have employee rights under your status of an employee. You also may have certain common law obligations (and your partner may as well), including fiduciary duties that you have to be aware of.

Male colleague set apart angry diverse b

I need to get rid of my Business Partner in Alberta- Now What?


Every case is different and the courts will consider the unique background of your case in making a decision. The best thing that you can do is to obtain legal counsel. Business breakups are difficult and can be emotional. Having an independent advisor can prevent you from making mis-steps.

Protecting Your Rights as an Owner

Floden & Company has strong experience in business law and in litigation. We often negotiate and advance cases on behalf of partners and shareholders, and we would be happy to consult with you.


If negotiation does not resolve the dispute, Floden & Company will litigate on your behalf.

What a Law Firm Can Do For You


Business Law in Alberta is complicated. You need advice from a firm with experience. 


Let our lawyers at Floden & Company advise you as you deal with this difficult challenge.

Get in touch with us today.

bottom of page